Our Intention: We honor the ancestors and ask them for assistance and guidance.
The Plan: We will create sacred space, calling in Brigid and The Green Dragon.
A member will lead us in an opening/meditation about what it is in the coming year that we need to do, individually and/or collectively — and to be able to speak the words of that intention as we proceed.
We will build a soup in a cauldron over the fire. We will each add our ingredients to the soup as we speak our intentions for the New Year.
We will build an altar to our ancestors. Remember that ancestors are those who have gone before whose life and work have shaped our lives. We will place the objects we have brought on the altar. Once the altar is built, we will go around in turn and talk about the ancestors we have invited. This is also an appropriate time to speak the names of those who have died this year that you want to remember.
A member will lead us in a call for the ancestors who are ready and willing to help us with our intentions, both individually and collectively. We will sing to call the ancestors and infuse our intention soup with energy.
A member will serve each person with soup from the cauldron, and will invite everyone to sit quietly and eat in silence until they feel moved to speak (some of you may recognize this as a Quaker meeting).
When we have finished eating, a member will thank the ancestors and ask them to help us do the work that we have set for ourselves, both individually and collectively. We will thank and release the deities, the elements, and the circle.
1) A vegetarian ingredient for the soup. Please have the ingredient prepared and ready to be put in the soup pot. If it is something that cannot fully cook in about twenty minutes (beans, rice, barley, etc), please pre cook or use canned.
2) A pretty bowl to eat soup from.
4) Things to put on the ancestor altar to honor the ancestor(s) you are bringing.
5) Spend some time thinking about your intention(s). Remember this is the Witches’ New Year – it’s a good time to set goals for the next year.
6) Dress warm or bring layers. We will be outside for a good part of the ritual.